Thursday, June 20, 2013

Fear No Mas!!

Today started off well, with me wearing my Batgirl shirt with the velcro cape. We started off with another challenge. Today was trying to make different letters with our bodies. It was very easy, contrary to what the camp assistants thought. We came in and started working on fingerprinting. I hate fingerprinting because I am very bad at it. I did better this time, so that was good. My Primary Classification number was 23/27. I am so glad I brought a ton of sanitizer wipes, because they really came in handy with the ink. After we cleaned up, we started working on LilyPad. I completely finished my program as well as sewing the components on with conductive thread. I am very happy with the way my bag came out. I wish I had a picture to show you.
We had amazing pizza for lunch today. We also had assorted Harry Potter themed snacks. They were delicious.  After lunch, we had an open lab, and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets was playing on the white boards while we worked. Since I finished my LilyPad, I spent the whole time working on the app. I was able to work some things out with some help, but I'll need to work on it after camp.
Time for today's super important prompt!!!
What would I do if I wasn't afraid?
I have given this a lot of thought, and I would stop being afraid to tell a boy that they are wrong when it comes to programming and life in general. I hate staying silent, but society has this stigma that women should be silent. I would try to do things that are predominantly male so that I can be and example for other girls.
Since this is my blog, I feel that I can vent.
At school there is this annoying boy who has it all wrong about all-girl activities. He thinks it's sexist when there are things for only girls, and doesn't mind voicing that opinion. I have tried explaining it to him, but I can't be around him for too long before I feel like ripping his head off. I tried telling him that all-girl camps are not meant to exclude boys, but to get rid of the negative influence they have on girls, as well as to boost the girls' confidence. I believe that guys exclude girls because they do not feel that girls belong. All-girl clubs, camps, activities, etc. are just to give the girls the courage to do thinks previously thought to be "taboo." It certainly help me. I hope it helps many more girls step out of their shells.  

No comments:

Post a Comment